[POLL] Cyrus 2.2 virtdomains behavior (Was: global admin without defaultdomain?)

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Dec 26 10:12:52 EST 2003

Kendrick Vargas wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I asked earlier how I could get users within the primary (default) domain
> hashed into the domain/ subdirectories of the imap spool instead of being
> right at the toplevel without any real domain association. I was told that
> the defaultdomain option was meant to ease the passage from version 2.1 to
> 2.2, so if I simply didn't set it, I'd get the hashing all nice and
> pretty.
>
> Now I have a slightly different issue. I've finally gone back and set
> things up in this manner. No defaultdomain setting. Users are hashed in
> the domains as they should be, however I'd like to have a global admin.
> The documents say I need the defaultdomain to have a global admin. Why?
> Is there anyway to get around this?
>
> I'd like to have a global admin without having the defaultdomain set. I
> don't really understand why that would be a requirement. Maybe this
> behavior should be some sort of configurable flag. If someone could
> point me in the direction to the source I could hack past to disable this
> behavior, I'd greatly appreciate it.

This has to do with the fact that the virtdomains code handles domains
by login id and ip address simultaneously.  If you don't have a fully
qualified user id, the code will do a reverse lookup on the ip address
of the local NIC and add that domain.  The only way to prevent the
appending of the domain is by setting a default domain.

I could probably fix this by changing the code to only do virtdomains by
  one mechanism at a time, NOT both.  Since the 2.2 code recently added
the ability to have enumerated config options, I could change the
virtdomains option to be a tri-state variable, something like [ off,
byuserid, byipaddress ].  As long as nobody is depending on the current
behavior, I have no problem changing this.  Of course, if people do need
the current bevavior, I could add a fourth state to handle this.

I'd like to get some feedback from those of you that have been using the
virtdomains code before I go and make any changes.

Happy Holidays,
Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127