[POLL] Cyrus 2.2 virtdomains behavior (Was: global admin without defaultdomain?)

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Dec 29 15:32:16 EST 2003

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Kendrick Vargas wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I asked earlier how I could get users within the primary (default)
>> domain hashed into the domain/ subdirectories of the imap spool
>> instead of being right at the toplevel without any real domain
>> association. I was told that the defaultdomain option was meant to
>> ease the passage from version 2.1 to 2.2, so if I simply didn't set
>> it, I'd get the hashing all nice and pretty.
>>
>> Now I have a slightly different issue. I've finally gone back and set
>> things up in this manner. No defaultdomain setting. Users are hashed
>> in the domains as they should be, however I'd like to have a global
>> admin. The documents say I need the defaultdomain to have a global
>> admin. Why? Is there anyway to get around this?
>>
>> I'd like to have a global admin without having the defaultdomain set.
>> I don't really understand why that would be a requirement. Maybe this
>> behavior should be some sort of configurable flag. If someone could
>> point me in the direction to the source I could hack past to disable
>> this behavior, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>

> This has to do with the fact that the virtdomains code handles domains
> by login id and ip address simultaneously.  If you don't have a fully
> qualified user id, the code will do a reverse lookup on the ip address
> of the local NIC and add that domain.  The only way to prevent the
> appending of the domain is by setting a default domain.
>
> I could probably fix this by changing the code to only do virtdomains by
>  one mechanism at a time, NOT both.  Since the 2.2 code recently added
> the ability to have enumerated config options, I could change the
> virtdomains option to be a tri-state variable, something like [ off,
> byuserid, byipaddress ].  As long as nobody is depending on the current
> behavior, I have no problem changing this.  Of course, if people do need
> the current bevavior, I could add a fourth state to handle this.
>
> I'd like to get some feedback from those of you that have been using the
> virtdomains code before I go and make any changes.

I just committed some code to CVS which changes the virtdomains option
from a SWITCH to an ENUM having 3 options:

off/no/0/false/f	(disabled)
userid			(fully qualified userids only)
on/yes/1/true/t		(current behavior)

What this means (hopefully) is that existing installations of 2.2 code
(whether virtdomains is enabled or not) should be unaffected.  Those
that don't want the reverse IP address lookup can use the "userid" option.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127