OT: Mail delivery problems.

Oliver Jones oliver at deeper.co.nz
Mon Dec 29 21:26:08 EST 2003

Hmm.  Well I think I figured out one part of the problem.  I had not
defined(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrusv2');

Now I'm still getting a User unknown error.  But this time it looks like
it is coming from cyrus.

... while talking to localhost:
>>> STARTTLS
<<< 500 5.5.2 Syntax error
>>> DATA
<<< 550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with
this
<<< 550-name or you do not have authorization to see it.
<<< 550 5.1.1 User unknown
550 5.1.1 <user at example.com>... User unknown
<<< 503 5.5.1 No recipients

What does this mean?

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 04:04, Oliver Jones wrote:
> This isn't entirely specific to Cyrus but I figured I'd ask here anyway
> as it is related to my recent Cyrus install...
>
> I've setup Cyrus with virtual domain support.  I've configured sendmail
> 8.12.10 on our server to deliver local mail to cyrus by doing this in
> sendmail.mc:
>
> MAILER(local)dnl
>
> MAILER_DEFINITIONS
> Mcyrusv2,       P=[IPC], F=lsDFMnqA5@/:|SmXz, E=\r\n,
>                 S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromSMTP, R=EnvToSMTP,
> T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
>                 A=FILE /usr/local/cyrus/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp
>

> For the Cyrus virtual domains I've added entries into
> /etc/mail/mailertable like this:
>
> example.com        cyrusv2:/usr/local/cyrus/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp
>

> I've also setup SMTP AUTH and SSL for sendmail.  And when I connect with
> SMTP AUTH sendmail will relay and deliver my mail.
>
> However when I do not use SMTP AUTH sendmail rejects my mail even if it
> is addressed to someone at example.com.  It rejects with "Relaying Denied.
> Proper authentication required."
>
> Normally when I've had "Relaying denied" errors I've added the domain
> into /etc/mail/local-host-names (for primary MX's) and it's worked fine.
>
> However I did this and instead I got "User unknown" errors.  Which is
> very odd because the address exists in the Cyrus store.
>
> Though I have just noticed that I still had FEATURE(local_procmail...)
> defined.  I've removed that now.  Would that have been the issue?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
2238