Mail server busy messages

David Hearn dave at swampie.org.uk
Wed Aug 6 04:09:00 EDT 2003

I hope someone can help me.

I've recently (since Monday) deployed a postfix/cyrus/web-cyradm/amavis-new
mail server for our company (40 employees).  Everything seems to be working
fine - except for one thing.  We've had quite a few times where people in
the office have been unable to send emails because the server is claiming to
be too busy.

Could this be because I don't have enough postfix processes to handle the
load?  I upped the MySQL max_connections from 100 to 300 after a heavy
incoming spam 'attack' (which caused a lot of lookups) and MySQL didn't
appear to recover after the spam session - all my destination lookups kept
failing.  No problems with MySQL after upping the max_connection - however
we still seem to be getting some busy messages from Postfix still.

In master.cf I'm using the basic maxproc settings (which appears to set
default_process_limit = 100).  I guess I could increase the number of
processes for inet smtp to more than 100 - however, I don't fully understand
how the other (lmtp/virtual/local + amavis stuff) interact - and therefore I
don't know whether I need to increase any other limits when I increase the
inet smtp maxproc.

So - any suggestions?

master.cf:

#
# ==========================================================================
# service type  private unpriv  chroot  wakeup  maxproc command + args
#               (yes)   (yes)   (yes)   (never) (50)
# ==========================================================================
smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
pickup    fifo  n       -       n       60      1       pickup
cleanup   unix  n       -       n       -       0       cleanup
qmgr      fifo  n       -       n       300     1       nqmgr
rewrite   unix  -       -       n       -       -       trivial-rewrite
bounce    unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
defer     unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
flush     unix  n       -       n       1000?   0       flush
proxymap  unix  -       -       n       -       -       proxymap
smtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
showq     unix  n       -       n       -       -       showq
error     unix  -       -       n       -       -       error
local     unix  -       n       n       -       -       local
virtual   unix  -       n       n       -       -       virtual
lmtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       lmtp
#
# Interfaces to non-Postfix software. Be sure to examine the manual
# pages of the non-Postfix software to find out what options it wants.
# The Cyrus deliver program has changed incompatibly.
#
# ==========================================================================
# service type  private unpriv  chroot  wakeup  maxproc command + args
#               (yes)   (yes)   (yes)   (never) (50)
# ==========================================================================
maildrop  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=vmail argv=/usr/local/bin/maildrop -d ${recipient}

cyrus     unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  user=cyrus argv=/usr/sbin/cyrdeliver -r ${sender} -m ${extension} ${user}

uucp      unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=Fqhu user=uucp argv=uux -r -n -z -a$sender - $nexthop!rmail
($recipient)
ifmail    unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=F user=ftn argv=/usr/lib/ifmail/ifmail -r $nexthop ($recipient)
bsmtp     unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=Fq. user=bsmtp argv=/usr/lib/bsmtp/bsmtp -d -t$nexthop -f$sender
$recipient
scalemail-backend unix  -       n       n       -       2       pipe
  flags=R user=scalemail argv=/usr/lib/scalemail/bin/scalemail-store
${nexthop} ${user} ${extension}

smtp-amavis     unix    -       -       n       -       2       lmtp
  -o smtp_data_done_timeout=1200
  -o disable_dns_lookups=yes

127.0.0.1:10025 inet    n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
  -o content_filter=
  -o local_recipient_maps=
  -o relay_recipient_maps=
  -o smtpd_restriction_classes=