trouble settting up cyrus

Maik Knittel maik.knittel at software-friends.de
Thu Apr 3 10:46:43 EST 2003

I can't get cyrus working. I'm trying to install version
2.1.12 with SASLv2 on a debian 3.0 system. I don't want
to create debian users for every imap user so I'd like
to use the sasldb athentication. I don't want to use
PAM/mySQL.

I've got the cyrus daemon running but I can't login
either with cyradm nor imtest. I've already created
a sasl user with saslpasswd2, but the log still says:

badlogin: XXXXX.XXXXXXX[XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX] DIGEST-MD5 [SASL(-13): user not
found: no secret in database]

imtest says:

imtest -u cyrus localhost
S: * OK SF111 Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.12-Debian-2.1.12-6 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE AUTH=NTLM AUTH=DIGEST-MD5
AUTH=CRAM-MD5 LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED ANNOTATEMORE
S: C01 OK Completed
C: A01 AUTHENTICATE DIGEST-MD5
[...]
Please enter your password:
C: [...]
S: A01 NO user not found
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 128

entries in imapd.conf:

sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb
sasl_sasldb_path: /etc/sasldb2

I have no clue about auxprop. Do I have to conifigure
it separately? Am I missing something?

regards