cyrus server and backup

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Fri Apr 4 09:10:35 EST 2003

I have never used the Cyrus IMAP server before and have just intalled it on a test
system to evaluate it, with a view to moving our service over to it.  We have over
20,000 users and need to upgrade our current system.

One of our fundamental requirements is to be able to take security backups.  These
are primarily for recovery in case of hardware failures.  The backups are
conventional periodic full backups with intermediate incrementals.

I am concerned that because Cyrus is a "black box" system which keeps track of its
own internal organisation we may have problems if we restore a disc from our
backups.  It will take hours to do a backup and the files within the Cyrus structure
will be changing as we do it.  Are there going to be problems with inconsistencies
between files?

There is a secondary, but important use of our current backup service, which is to
dig users out of a hole when they make mistakes:  Occasionally a user will
accidentally delete a message or even a whole folder and then come and ask if I can
recover it for them.

With our current backup system it is ussually very easy because I have no problem
identifying the relevant files to be recovered.  I seems to that it will be
impossible to recover deleted messages because I will not be able to identify the
files which I need.  If I can identify the files, presumably there is no way to get
them back into the Cyrus system?

The only information I have been able to find which says anything about recovery
is in the Server Overview and Concepts document.  However, this does not go into
sufficient detail and includes statements like "Many objects in the configuration
directory are discussed in the Database Recover section".  I cannot find any section
anywhere with a title of "Database Recover"!

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Phil.