Cyrus Folder Deletion

Cyrus Daboo daboo at cyrusoft.com
Wed Apr 9 15:21:53 EDT 2003

Hi David,

--On Wednesday, April 9, 2003 11:32 AM -0700 David Alix
<David.Alix at isc.ucsb.edu> wrote:

| Have you checked whether the folders were moved rather than deleted?
| We've had about a half dozen instances in the last 6 months where users
| have accidentally moved a folder into a subfolder.   We've chalked it up
| to user error, but honestly can't figure out how a folder can be moved
| without a concerted effort.  This has happend with Mulberry and Execmail
| as clients. BTW, our IMAP server is a cousin of the cyrus mailer, from
| MessagineDirect.

I have seen instances of this before. I think what typically happens is
that a user goes to click (once) on a mailbox but they mishandle the mouse
so that they actual click-and-drag (very brief drag). They end up dropping
the mailbox over another (usually the one right below or above the one
clicked on depending on the motion of the mouse) and thus cause it to be
made a submailbox of the other.

So if you see mailboxes disappearing look in the parent mailboxes close by
the missing one.

If a mailbox has been lost in this manner, its very easy to find it by
simply doing an IMAP LIST to search for the missing name (or some component
of the missing name) in the entire hierarchy. I know one client that makes
that easy to do...

--
Cyrus Daboo