clarification - email virus protection

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Fri Apr 11 09:12:55 EDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 08:50:07AM +1200, Bojan Zdrnja wrote:
> I'd recommend integration of postfix with amavis
> (http://www.amavis.org), which can be configured to work with lots of
> different virus scanning packages. Considering anti-virus programs, I'd
> recommend sophie/libsav by Sophos for good performance.
> Amavis is integrated with postfix so all mails that go through it will
> be scanned (including incoming, as well as outgoing if you put your
> server as outgoing e-mail server).

I would recommend _against_ AMaViS unless you use the most recent
deamonized version.  The traditionnal AMaViS is invoked by procmail,
which in turn must run the perl interpreter to execute AMaViS, which in
turn spawn metamail to decode the attachment and your virus scanner to
do the actual scanning.  This generate a lot of load even on a pretty
quiet server.  I would prefer a deamonized scanner that do the MIME
decoding (a pretty intensive operation) itself, even if the scanning is
done by a third-party tool.

In the future, I plan to investigate MailScanner
(http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/) which had been recommended
to us by somebody working for an ISP.

Just my 0.02 CDN$

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
PGP Pub Key: http://www.LinuxQuebec.com/pubkeys/eg.key
Fingerprint: F569 0394 098A FC70 B572  5D20 3129 3D86 8FD5 C853