authentication, shadow, linux

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Fri Apr 11 06:18:38 EDT 2003

Hennie Rautenbach schrieb:

> Hi there,
>
> Folks, I have tried just about everything to get my IMAP setup (Redhat
> 6.2) working using the RPM's supplied by Simon Matter (thanks very much)
> but for some strange reason I cannot get authentication to work. It is
> running and its mux file is in /var/run/saslauthd Not sure what else to try.
>
> I keep getting the error:
>
> Apr 11 09:26:59 spock imapd[25258]: cannot connect to saslauthd server:
> No such
> file or directory. It is running and its mux file is in
> /var/run/saslauthd Not sure what else to try.
>
> This is of course in my auth.log file in /var/adm
>
> I am pressed for time and part of my frustration is that I don't know
> where to get documentation where the various auth methods are explained
> in full.  So, failing sasl autentication I'd like to have a look at PAM.
> How can I recompile the sasl src RPM to use PAM auth instead ?

Did you read the messages I wrote to you in private?

On a _clean_, up to date RedHat 6.2 box, do the following:

Get the source rpm of Cyrus SASL v2 from
http://home.datacomm.ch/simix/cyrus-sasl-2.1.12-2.src.rpm

rpm --rebuild --nodeps cyrus-sasl-2.1.12-2.src.rpm
(nodeps is needed here because in RedHat 6.2, pam-devel is in pam
package)

install the following packages:
cyrus-sasl-2.1.12-1
cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.12-1
cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.12-1
cyrus-sasl-md5-2.1.12-1
cyrus-sasl-gssapi-2.1.12-1

let /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd look like this (for PAM auth):
MECH=pam
#FLAGS="-n 15"

chkconfig saslauthd on
service saslauthd start

get file
http://home.teleport.ch/simix/RPMS/Cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd-2.1.12-9.src.rpm

rpm --rebuild cyrus-imapd-2.1.12-9.src.rpm

install the following packages:
cyrus-imapd-2.1.12-9
cyrus-imapd-devel-2.1.12-9
cyrus-imapd-utils-2.1.12-9
perl-Cyrus-2.1.12-9

set a _UNIX_ poassword for cyrus user:
passwd cyrus
service cyrus-imapd start

Now login to cyrus:
cyradm --user=cyrus --auth=login localhost
IMAP Password:

localhost.cad.sba> ver
name       : Cyrus IMAPD
version    : v2.1.12-Invoca-RPM-2.1.12-9 2003/02/03 20:43:58
vendor     : Project Cyrus
support-url: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
os         : Linux
os-version : 2.2.24-6.2.3
environment: Cyrus SASL 2.1.12
             Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 3.1.17: (July 31, 2000)
             OpenSSL 0.9.6b [engine] 9 Jul 2001
             CMU Sieve 2.2
             TCP Wrappers
             mmap = shared
             lock = fcntl
             nonblock = fcntl
             auth = unix
             idle = poll
             mboxlist.db = skiplist
             subs.db = flat
             seen.db = skiplist
             duplicate.db = db3-nosync
             tls.db = db3-nosync

That's it!

> Can anyone point me to a source of information where I can delve through
> rather than bore this forum with my incessant queries ? :-) Please don't
> ask me to look at the archives. It is near impossible to find anything
> there over such a slow link as the one I'm on here in the sad third
> world...
>
> Best regards and as always, I appreciate the assistance very much.,
>
> H.
>
> --
>  Hennie Rautenbach                  Work: http://www.sabinet.co.za
>  082-556-1191                       Play: http://www.overland.co.za
>
>  Reveal not every secret you have to a friend, for how can you tell
>  but that friend may hereafter become an enemy. And bring not all
>  mischief you are able to upon an enemy, for he may one day become
>  your friend.                                             -- Saadi

> This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential
> information. If you have received this transmission in error, please
> delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
> opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by Sabinet Online
> Limited unless expressly stated otherwise.

Simon Matter              Tel:  +41 61 695 57 35
Fr.Sauter AG / CIT        Fax:  +41 61 695 53 30
Im Surinam 55
CH-4016 Basel             [mailto:simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com]