virtual domains question

Phil Howard phil-info-cyrus at ipal.net
Sun Apr 13 20:30:55 EDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 06:02:12PM -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:

| Phil Howard wrote:

| > |
| > | Well, most of the code to do this is already there.  The complication
| > | arises when trying to deal with users in the defaultdomain (unqualified
| > | userids) and how to handle 'anyone' and 'anonymous' (how to
| > | differentiate between anyone in a domain or anyone regardless of
| > | domain.)
| >
| > I would presume a reference to a user w/o any domain qualification would
| > (or should) have the same effect as logging in w/o any domain.  Whether
| > that gets mapped to an actual domain, or simply accesses name hierarchy
| > that has no domain, would be a detail.
| >
| > As for 'anyone' and 'anonymous' I'm not sure what to do.  I can see that
| > one might assume when written w/o a domain that they apply to the same
| > domain, as opposed to the default domain.
|

| I thought about this some more while watching the golf, and I'm slowly
| starting to recall more of the issues.  The biggest hurdle (as was the
| case with altnamespace, unixhiersep and virtdomains) is LIST/LSUB.  If
| we allow users to see mailboxes in other domains, how do these get
| presented to the client?  What does the namespace look like?  Should we
| make it optional? (LIST performance will suck if we have to iterate
| through the entire mailbox list regardless of domain)

I can't answer that in terms of the current way it is done.  But had it
been done the way I was originally thinking, then it might have worked
like this:

host.com_example.user.tom -> becomes INBOX when login as tom at example.com

Then tom at example.com can see tom at example.net by some reference that
works out to -> host.net_example.user.tom

I'm sure there are many other ways to do it.  But now that a mapping of
user at fqdn is established, I guess you're stuck with it.