Question about Cyrus, ext3, and Linux kernel 2.4.18 bug

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Fri Apr 18 00:53:02 EDT 2003

the reason data=journal can be faster is that the data is considered
synced when it hits the journal, since the journal write is a sequential
write (both for the data and the metadata) the filesystem can finish the
fsync faster then if it has to seek, write data, seek, write metadata
(assuming the best case where it doesn't take more seeks then that due to
fragmentation)

overall it will depend on how close you are to the limits of your drives,
since the data then needs to be written where it really needs to be the
other time will need to be spent, but it can be spent later when the
srive isn't as busy (if there is not such a time before the journal fills
up then you will hit the slowdown when it fills, but even then I think
theres some potential improvement from write combining)

David Lang