Backup and Restore strategies for Cyrus IMAP folders

Gary Mills mills at cc.UManitoba.CA
Tue Apr 15 16:40:32 EDT 2003

There has been some discussion here recently on ways of restoring
messages that have been accidentally deleted by Cyrus users.  We do
frequent backups of the Cyrus filesystems.  Our restore procedure is
simply to restore the `NNN.' files that contain the messages, and
then run `reconstruct user.USER' and `quota -f user.USER', at least
when the files were in INBOX.

Is there anything wrong with this procedure?  We do it while Cyrus
is running.  Is this safe to do?