Cyrus imapd, DB4, RH 9.0 and NPTL

Christopher Smith x at xman.org
Wed Apr 23 05:59:51 EDT 2003

Stephan Bauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> for me this package works
> http://home.teleport.ch/simix/
>
> Regards
>
> Stephan
>
>> On a RH 9.0 system, up2date upgraded glibc from
>> glibc-2.3.2-11.9.i386.rpm to
>> glibc-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm.  Now it appears that anything applications
>> that
>> use POSIX mutexes are broken (only db4 so far affecting rpm and cyrus
>> imapd).

I got burned by this. There are a couple of tricks.

1) There is actually an i686 version of the RPM available. RedHat
installs an i686 version during install where appropriate. Dropping back
to the i386 version will hurt you bad. up2date does not cause this problem.

2) You need to upgrade the glibc package with rpm -Fvh glibc*.rpm
(notive the "F" instead of the "U" that one typically does). Again,
up2date appears to do the right thing.

Everyone I know who did this by hand screwed it up in one of these two
ways. Everyone I know who used up2date has not experienced any problems.

--Chris