Backup and Restore strategies for Cyrus IMAP folders

Gary Mills mills at cc.UManitoba.CA
Wed Apr 16 09:45:10 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 05:04:19PM -0400, Brian wrote:

> Gary Mills said:
> > There has been some discussion here recently on ways of restoring
> > messages that have been accidentally deleted by Cyrus users.  We do
> > frequent backups of the Cyrus filesystems.  Our restore procedure is
> > simply to restore the `NNN.' files that contain the messages, and
> > then run `reconstruct user.USER' and `quota -f user.USER', at least when
> > the files were in INBOX.
>
> Having done this in the past, I know there's nothing technically wrong
> with it, but you do lose the state of the messages which can be annoying
> if you have thousands of messages in your mailboxes as I do.

Are you saying that `reconstruct' resets the flags of all of the
messages?  That would be a major problem.  If it's only the flags
of the restored messages, then it's not so bad.

Is there a way to preserve and restore flags of deleted messages?