Backup and Restore strategies for Cyrus IMAP folders

Earl R Shannon Earl_Shannon at ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 16 07:42:52 EDT 2003

Hello,

If you restore back to the users inbox you run the chance, although
probably small, of overwriting a message. For instance. If a message
already exists in the mailbox that has a file name 42. and your
restoration puts back a file named 42. then if they have different
contents you have lost the first message. To prevent this we do our
restorations to a folder we create simply named BACKUP. We also give
this folder the same quota as the user's inbox. Then after two weeks we
remove the BACKUP folder( and subfolders ).

Regards,
Earl Shannon