Misunderstanding of MUPDATE ?

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Apr 27 10:29:05 EDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Christian Schulte wrote:

> What I need to do is to setup a second machine "B" which can be used
> simultanously for all email services. Machine "B" will run a secondary
> mx which will forward everything to machine "A". So machine "A"'s
> sendmail will be the only smtp-server which will do local delivery to
> cyrus. As I read into MUPDATE I think machine "A" will be called the
> backend server ? This machine holds the mail spool.

It sounds like you just want to run LMTP delivery over TCP from machine B
to machine A.  Mupdate doesn't even come into the picture.

> As of my understanding of MUPDATE I can only setup a cyrus installation
> on machine "B" to which my users can do IMAP/POP connections which
> internally accesses machine "A"'s mail spool over MUPDATE protocol ?
> Does that mean that if machine "A" is down POP/IMAP connections to
> machine "B" will also be refused ?

If you only have one backend server, if it is un available, the whole
hierarchy is unavailable.  The Murder doesn't provide any redundancy, just
failure partitioning.

> So I cannot setup a redundant cyrus system using MUPDATE ?

No.

> Of course if machine "A" goes down no more mails can be delivered to
> cyrus so the content of machine "A"'s mail spool cannot change either.
> But does the cyrus installation on machine "B" hold a cache to the
> complete mailstore on disk if all users would access the mail store by
> connecting to machine "B" ?

No.

> What I would need is a mechanism similar to the mysql replication
> feature!  Any solutions ?

Good Luck.

It sounds like you misunderstand the murder concepts, I suggest you read:

http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/ag.html

-Rob