Problems with Sieve

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Mon Apr 28 09:58:05 EDT 2003

Peter Burggraef wrote:

>I'm searching for the strange behaviour of my cyrus21 (debian) server. After
>running fine for 4 weeks, it stopped filtering my mails into some and not all
>directories via sieve. Instead the mails were delivered  into my usermailbox.
>I would like to know the reason? I have no idea. After stopping und restarting
>the service, it worked properly. Should I restart the service daily via cron?

What version of db are you running?  On Solaris 9, I had similar
problems (open returning ENOSPC) after a few weeks of uptime with db
4.1.24/25, which went away after downgrading to 4.0.14.

>##########
>
>Apr 27 20:23:28 server cyrus/ctl_cyrusdb[11714]: DBERROR: dbenv->open
>'/var/lib/cyrus/db' failed: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database
>recovery
>Apr 27 20:23:28 server cyrus/ctl_cyrusdb[11714]: DBERROR: init
>/var/lib/cyrus/db: cyrusdb error

>Apr 27 20:34:05 server cyrus/lmtpd[11772]: DBERROR: dbenv->open
>'/var/lib/cyrus/db' failed: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database
>recovery
>Apr 27 20:34:05 server cyrus/lmtpd[11772]: DBERROR: init /var/lib/cyrus/db:
>cyrusdb error
>Apr 27 20:34:05 server cyrus/lmtpd[11772]: lmtpd: unable to init duplicate
>delivery database

Your duplicate delivery database is corrupted.  If it is unavailable for
whatever reason, sieve can't process any messages.  You need to recover
your duplicate delivery database, or just delete it and recreate it
since it doesn't hold anything that will cause a lot of pain if it is
lost (your users may see duplicate copies of messages from mailing lists
that are still in flight).

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931