Debian Postfix backports and SASL2

David Hearn dave at swampie.org.uk
Tue Apr 29 04:53:53 EDT 2003

Hi, I've been following the Web-Cryadm howto to install Cyrus, Postfix etc and I've managed to get Cyrus working fine using SASL2.  I'm using Debian Testing distro and using the backports of Cyrus, Postfix etc.  The problem I can see, is that Cyrus is using SASL2, and Postfix is using (or depends on at least) SASL1.  I've got both SASL2 and SASL1 installed - but I think I've only configured it all for SASL2 (I think) - however when I enable SASL authentication in postfix, I get a "Bad command at startup - throttling" message whenever I try to send an email.  If I turn SASL off, then it works.

I'd prefer not to have to re-compile Postfix from the sources (I like the automatic updating facility of Debian packages).

So - has anyone got SASL2 authentication working with Postfix using the Debian backports (http://people.debian.org/~hmh/woody/hmh)?  Is it possible to still use the saslauthd (SASL2) with Postfix which is expecting SASL1?  I'm quite confused by all this SASL stuff.

Thanks

David