Webmail applications that are kind to the IMAP server?

Cyrus Daboo daboo at cyrusoft.com
Mon Sep 2 19:10:18 EDT 2002

Hi,

--On Monday, September 2, 2002 8:33 PM +0100 Dominic Ijichi
<dom at ijichi.org> wrote:

| Try this - it runs as a non-privileged user on a non-privileged port and
| talks to the imap daemon for the webmail app, holding persistence.  Works
| very well, and I've noticed a definite speed increase.  Designed for IMP,
| but I guess it should work with others?
|
| http://www.kuleuven.net/projects/imapproxy/

This solves some problems and possibly creates others. It does handle the
tcp conection and authentication performance issues, but does not handle
the SELECT/SORT/FETCH issue. In most cases the later really ought to be the
significant one - in a closed environment tcp connect should certainly be
quick.

It does introduce some issues wrt data that the server might queue up
whilst the webclient is in its 'logged out' state, but the proxy is still
logged in to the IMAP server. There is some code in there that does an
'EXAMINE INBOX' when the webclient logs out (note it uses INBOX even if
some other mailbox is in use). I think that is designed to try and prevent
the loss of information from unsolicted server responses, but its not a
good solution because the server will still queue up information even for
an EXAMINE state. What would be better is using the 'UNSELECT' IMAP command
(its an extension that some - e.g. CMU - servers support that allows a
client to effectively 'close' a mailbox without logging out). Alternatively
it should use an EXAMINE/CLOSE sequence to do the same.

--
Cyrus Daboo