Webmail applications that are kind to the IMAP server?

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 3 07:32:03 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Gary Mills wrote:

> Are there any e-mail web applications that are better behaved, in that
> they utilize a single IMAP session for the duration of the user's web
> session?

Here's a list of the open source packages that I know about:

IMHO: (Roxen Web server)

    http://www.lysator.liu.se/~stewa/IMHO/

CAMAS: (Caudium Web server)

    http://camas.caudium.net

Postman: (CGI plugin to Apache written in C++)

    http://www.uv.es/postman/postman.html

WING: (Apache/mod_perl)

    http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mbeattie/wing/

Prayer: (Standalone Web server/proxy, written entirely in C)

    ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk:/pub/software/email/prayer

There's some evidence that Washington are working on something based
around Java servlets: I guess that would use persistent connections.
I have no idea whether they plan to release "Webpine" as open source.

A number of these packages (including Prayer, which I wrote) are targeted
at the Washington IMAP server which has a particularly hard time with
transient IMAP connections without any index files. I don't know how well
they would work with a vanilla Cyrus installation.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.