Webmail applications that are kind to the IMAP server?

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 3 10:00:59 EDT 2002

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, JP Howard wrote:

> Actually, a simpler answer is to just create a "socket pool". Simply
> create a daemon that stores a socket for each user in a
> hash/dictionary. The daemon listens for a request like "get <username>
> <password>" and passes the socket from the pool (creating one if
> necessary by logging in to the IMAP server). Then the web app just uses
> the socket as per usual, and when done sends an "unlock <username>"
> back to the daemon.

I'm not convinced this is good enough, since a user could conceivably have
two sepperate webmail sessions on the same system (imagine two windows
open to the same webserver, browsing different mailboxes).  Now which
session knows the state of the IMAP connection?

You need something to juggle the possibility that there are multiple
concurrent web accesses for a given userid, and just storing a single
socket in the selected state isn't good enough.

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper