Webmail applications that are kind to the IMAP server?

Jure Pecar pegasus at telemach.net
Wed Sep 4 16:13:01 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 11:20:59 -0500
Gary Mills <mills at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

> Are there any e-mail web applications that are better behaved, in that
> they utilize a single IMAP session for the duration of the user's web
> session?  Are they otherwise as attractive as IMP?

If you look from the Apache's KeepAlive point of view ...

I've seen apache servers go down under load, when KeepAlive was on ... and
the same boxen were running happily when KeepAlive was off ... kinda makes
you think.

In case of persistant imap connection, each imapd process would be waiting
for its user to do whatever he plans to do and logout. The way we have now
is for each imapd process to auth a user, grant his request, log him off,
serve a next user ... So if i have a _fast_ auth mechanism (like direct call
into sql/ldap via saslauthd), i think that auth overhead is less costly than
gazillion of imapd processess waiting for users and each taking its portion
of server's memory.

If someone can prove me wrong with some actual data, please go ahead.

--

Jure Pecar