to upgrade a server

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Sep 3 19:52:48 EDT 2002

Quoting Matt Bernstein <mb/cyrus at dcs.qmul.ac.uk>:

> I'm currently happily running Cyrus 2.1.9 under Debian woody[1]. For a
> number of reasons which don't concern this list I'd like to switch to the
> new Red Hat Linux beta "(null)".
>
> Being fairly new to Cyrus I want to get my scary moments out of the way,
> before term begins and I have more than a handful of users on the system.
> Is there a HOWTO (or the like) for efficiently effecting such a
> transition? Is something like the following sufficient?
>
> 1. ctl_cyrusdb -c
> 2. shut down cyrus
> 3. ctl_cyrusdb -r
> 4. for [ all db files ] cvt_cyrusdb to skiplist or flat
> 5. Install new distribution/OS/libraries etc..
> 6. rebuild cyrus against new libraries
> 7. for [ whatever you feel necessary ] cvt_cyrusdb to db4 or whatever
> 8. restart cyrus and say one's prayers
>
> Comments welcome--I've deliberately written this late at night as that is
> most likely when such a downtime is to happen, but I reckon much if not
> all of the above can be done in one hour.

Here's a TODO list that I put together a while ago for moving from one box to
another, which might be of some help:

http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&searchter
m=migrate&msg=14203

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127