Tracing IMAP commands on the server

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Thu Sep 5 07:00:52 EDT 2002

Daniel Nilsson wrote:
> All,
>
> We are using mozilla as our preferred mail client at work together with
> a Cyrus 2.0.16 IMAP server. This combination works fine for the most
> part, though I'd like to debug one problem that I'm pretty sure is a
> Mozilla bug. Sometimes, when I read messages they are marked as read in
> the mail client but a few minutes later (probably when the client checks
> for new mail the next time) they reappear as unread again in Mozilla.
> This mostly happens with messages that are filtered by sieve into
> subfolders of the INBOX, not so often in the INBOX itself.

Welcome to the club.
Mozilla is doing its job fine, it's a problem with cyrus: while one
process marks messages as read, other ones still see them as unread (I
did trace the communication between mozilla and cyrus when this happened).
Using skiplist as the backend for the seen db (instead of the default
flat file) seems to alleviate (if not totally solve) the problem.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004      Fax +34 93 5883007