lmtpd and sieve

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Sep 6 23:53:07 EDT 2002

Quoting Ilya <mail at krel.org>:

> I have now setup my exim to use true lmtp, with deliver -l.
> Normal email is delivered with no problem, fileinto sorts it ok.
> However if email meets reject rule, than it is delivered to inbox and I see
> this error in exim log:
>
> 2002-09-06 13:02:21 17nMUu-000GWE-00 == mail at krel.org
> T=local_delivery_cyrus
> defer (-1): LMTP error after end of data: 421 4.3.0 lmtpd: couldn't exec

This is almost always a case of lmtpd not being able to execute 'sendmail'.
Either it is somewhere other than /usr/lib/sendmail (see the 'sendmail' option
in imapd.conf), or Exim's 'sendmail' binary is not completely compatible with
the original from Sendmail.

> cyrus.conf:
>   # at least one LMTP is required for delivery
>   #lmtp         cmd="lmtpd -a" listen="lmtp" prefork=0
>   lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=0
>
> srwxrwxrwx  1 cyrus  cyrus  0 Sep  6 13:01 lmtp
> -rw-------  1 cyrus  cyrus  0 Sep  6 12:31 lmtp.lock
> -rw-------  1 cyrus  cyrus  0 Sep  6 13:06 lmtpunix.lock
>
> exim/configure:
> local_delivery_cyrus:
>         driver = lmtp
>         command = "/usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver -l"
>         user = cyrus
>         group = cyrus
>

> also, do I understand correctly that lmtptest wont work on socket?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127