Cyrus IMAP Presentation

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 18 13:46:41 EDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 10:32:08AM -0700, Michael Fair wrote:
> > Having Cyrus setup it's lmtp socket under /var/spool/postfix (but not
> > /public or /private) is the right thing to do. I say this because
> > often postfix runs in a chroot env and won't access the lmtp socket if
> > it's outside of /var/spool/postfix
>
> However Postfix is not that limited, in master.cf
> the lmtp line has an option as to whether the lmtp
> transport is chrooted or not.  Make sure that option
> is set to 'n' and the Cyrus lmtp delivery socket can
> be anywhere you want.  Since the outside world isn't
> contacting the LMTP transport directly (like it does
> with the smtp/smtpd transports) it's not as important
> to trap this one in a chroot jail.

It's a good point that you can configure postfix to deliver to an
lmtpd socket outside of it's chroot jail by tweaking the correct bits
in master.cf.

As you noted, it boils down to system admin preferences. For me I like
to keep everything chrooted in postfix where ever possible. But
perhaps this isn't the only 'right' way to handle it.

--
  Scott Russell (lnxgeek at us.ibm.com)
  Linux Technology Center, System Admin, RHCE.