Cyrus IMAP Presentation

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Sun Sep 15 18:31:36 EDT 2002

On Sunday 15 September 2002 04:03, adam at morrison-ind.com wrote:
> I've created a presentation about Cyrus IMAPd that I will be showing to the
> local LUG in a couple of weeks.  I'd appreciate it if some Cyrus masters
> would take a look at it and see if I've gotten anything wrong.
>
> ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/Cyrus.pdf

Hi,

Like your LDAP docs, the Cyrus docs are great too, congratulations!

Page 5:
- RedHat RPMs of Cyrus...
- ...RedHat 8.0 (or 7.4) ships with both Cyrus SASL v1 and v2,...

You could also mention that paths in the RPM packages differ from a manual
install because the RPMs try to comply with Linux FHS.
Another thing is to mention that one has to assign a password to the cyrus
user. Many people forget this.

Page 16:
You may mention that with an RPM istall on RedHat, saslauthd should be
started like this:

edit /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd and enter any of the following options:
MECH=pam            (default: shadow)
FLAGS="-n 5"        (default: none)

chkconfig saslauthd on
service saslauthd start

Page 17:
Please mention all involved PAM facilities: imap,pop,sieve

Page 20:
Would be nice to add a postfix section:

To use lmtp as mail transport, add this to /etc/postfix/main.cf
mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp

and make sure lmtp is not chrooted (until you want some troubles...)
check for this line in /etc/postfix/master.cf
lmtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       lmtp

BTW, would you mindif I include your migration scripts into the RPM?

Simon