Cyrus IMAP Presentation

adam at morrison-ind.com adam at morrison-ind.com
Mon Sep 23 11:18:38 EDT 2002

>>Right, I'm using Cyrus-IMAPd->saslauthd->pam->[ldap|shadow|...].
>Does it work?

Yes.

>How?

See ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/Cyrus.pdf

>I'm not using ldap, but a user of my packages has complained that he had
>problems with a similar setup. By searching the list it seems that the
>problem is that openldap is compiled aganinst sasl v1, at least under
>mandrake. I looked at the redhat packages for openldap and they too use
>sasl v1, at least according to rpmfind.net.

saslauthd won't care what OpenLDAP is linked against.  saslauthd talks to some
mechanism like PAM.

>I also downloaded your package for cyrus-sasl and the difference between
>yours and mine is that you didn't compile saslauthd with internal ldap
>support (--with-ldap), and maybe that's the real problem?

Wow, I didn't even know saslauthd could have internal LDAP support (cool!), but
then I'm not the builder of the packages.  But PAM still seems a better way as
it lets you add time of day restrictions, etc...