Exporting single user mailboxes.

Pat Lashley patl+cyrus at volant.org
Mon Sep 16 13:31:18 EDT 2002

--On Monday, September 16, 2002 08:13:03 AM +0200 Michael Salmon
<Michael.Salmon at uab.ericsson.se> wrote:

>| > I'm deleting users from our system as they have quit. Because I cannot
>| > whant to wait untill the user might come around to retrive their mail,
>| > I want to export it and tar it up together with the users homedir etc
>| > and put it in a separate place for storage.
>| >
>| > The reason I want the format to be winblos accessible is so I can give
>| > the user his/her mail on a CD and tell them "use netscape" or something
>| > and then be done with it :). Didn't netscape4 use mbox?

If you want to dump them to a Netscape-compatible mailbox, why not use
Netscape?  The easiest way is probably to give the dead account a new
password, log into it, start netscape mail, make sure there's a local
inbox defined, select all the messages in the Cyrus inbox and drag them
to the local inbox.  Then you can put the whole ~/nsmail dir on the CD.

-Pat