stress testing

Hein Roehrig hein at acm.org
Wed Sep 18 08:05:27 EDT 2002

Before going production with a new server I would like to do some stress
testing esp wrt locking problems. A quick search of the archives and at
Google shows that people have been looking for scripts etc. but there is
no standard open-source test/stress suite and nobody so far posted their
scripts.

Before I start creating my own scripts, I would welcome pointers to work
I may have missed and/or advice. For instance, there is a claim in
comp.mail.imap message <63bde6$krb at engnews1.Eng.Sun.COM> that a perl
script will not be fast enough to really stress a decent server... I
find that hard to believe.

Thanks in advance,
Hein