stress testing

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 18 09:00:33 EDT 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Russell Packer wrote:

> Is this no good?
>
> http://www.etestinglabs.com/benchmarks/svrtools/email/t1intro.asp

I haven't hadn any personal experience with it, though on first glance it
appears to not support anything other than one's inbox, which makes it
pretty useless for testing mboxlist.db contention (you can't create or
delete mailboxes, for example).  I will note that it does appear that you
can write the IMAP commands yourself (which really makes it no better than
imtest).

It also doesn't appear to support a variety of authentication methods.

I also don't see any concept of delay between the commands, so it isn't
capable of producing realistic load (where there is generally a good
amount of time between commands, since users are generally much slower
than the server ;)

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper