Getting SASL from CVS --- automake complains about errors

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sat Sep 21 08:30:54 EDT 2002

Quoting Christian Schulte <cs at schulte.it>:

> Hi,
>
> I just had plenty of problems with the SASL2 library. I checked it out
> from CVS and did the follwoing things which produced a working configure
> script. After compilation some things did not work and I think they all
> related to a problem while creating the configure script! e.g. The

What else is broken?

> saslauthd manpage is completely empty after installation which is not,
> if I get the library from ftp ! So is my automake / autoconf etc. broken ?

What version of automake are you using?  On what platform?

This config works fine for me on RH Linux 7.3:

autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.53
automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p5
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4.2 (1.922.2.54 2001/09/11 03:33:37)

Try this:

$ make distclean
$ rm aclocal.m4 config.* configure saslauthd/aclocal.m4 saslauthd/config.*
saslauthd/configure
$ sh SMakefile

This _should_ run clean except for the WARNINGs.

> schulte-04:05:48:~/cyrus-cvs/cyrus-sasl >export MAKE=gmake
> schulte-04:05:55:~/cyrus-cvs/cyrus-sasl >set | grep make
> MAKE=gmake
> schulte-04:06:00:~/cyrus-cvs/cyrus-sasl >chmod u+x SMakefile
> schulte-04:06:10:~/cyrus-cvs/cyrus-sasl >./SMakefile
> aclocal -I cmulocal -I config
> autoheader
> WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
> WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
> WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
>
> WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
> WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
> WARNING: `acconfig.h':
>
> WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
> WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])
>
> WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
> WARNING: documentation.
> autoheader: `config.h.in' is created
> autoconf
> automake --add-missing --include-deps
> Prototype mismatch: sub Automake::SEEK_SET vs () at
> /usr/local/bin/automake line 8237
> Prototype mismatch: sub Automake::SEEK_CUR vs () at
> /usr/local/bin/automake line 8237
> Prototype mismatch: sub Automake::SEEK_END vs () at
> /usr/local/bin/automake line 8237
> configure.in: installing `config/install-sh'
> configure.in: installing `config/mkinstalldirs'
> configure.in: installing `config/missing'
> include/Makefile.am: installing `config/depcomp'
> automake: processing Makefiles another time to fix them up.
> cd saslauthd
> aclocal -I ../cmulocal -I config
> autoheader
> WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
> WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
> WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
>
> WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
> WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
> WARNING: `acconfig.h':
>
> WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
> WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])
>
> WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
> WARNING: documentation.
> autoheader: `saslauthd.h.in' is created
> autoconf
> automake --add-missing --include-deps
> Prototype mismatch: sub Automake::SEEK_SET vs () at
> /usr/local/bin/automake line 8237
> Prototype mismatch: sub Automake::SEEK_CUR vs () at
> /usr/local/bin/automake line 8237
> Prototype mismatch: sub Automake::SEEK_END vs () at
> /usr/local/bin/automake line 8237
> Makefile.am: installing `config/depcomp'

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127