posting to shared mailboxes

Matt Vanderveer mattv at boxerlearning.com
Mon Sep 23 18:26:16 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 15:34, Ken Murchison wrote:
> Matt Vanderveer wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running postfix-1.1.11-20020822, cyrus-imapd-2.1.8 and
> > cyrus-sasl-2.1.7 with authentication from an NT domain via PAM.  I have
> > alternate name space turned on.  I'm trying to set up shared mailboxes
> > that everyone can read but only certain users can post to.  For example,
> > I have a shared mailbox, announce, that is owned by the system and has
> > following acl:
> > anyone lrs
> > hagbardc lrswip
> > If user hagbardc sends a message to +announce at foo.com, delivery will
> > fail with  "550-You do not have permission to post a message to this
> > mailbox." written to the mail log.  Clearly hagbardc has permission to
> > post to the box and and posting works if I give "anyone" posting
> > permissions.  Is posting to shared mailboxes an all or nothing
> > propostion, or am I just missing something?
>
> AFAIK, hagbardc's ACL will only be used if hagbardc authenticates to
> lmtpd.
>
> --
> Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
> Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
> 716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
> --PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp

Hi,

I'm having problems getting lmtpd authentication working, at least as I
think I need it to.  Posting directly to the shared box from the users's
mua works fine.  However for various reasons, I need to let users mail
to a shared box, not just post from the mua, and still limit who can
mail to the shared box.  This leads to several questions:

Am I correct in thinking that my issue is on the Postfix side in getting
Postfix to pass the smtp-auth info through its lmtp client to cyrus'
lmtpd?

If not, then is it issue with the Cyrus lmtpd config?

Or, are we trying to use the +foo@ addressing in the wrong way?

Judging from the logs, it looks to be the first issue, but I want to
first rule out any Cyrus config issues and make sure that what I'm
trying to do, is indeed possible.  I think I'm just confused by the
differentiation between shared folders and bulletin boards, since I've
got every other aspect working fine.

Thanks,

Matt