posting to shared mailboxes

Amos Gouaux +archive.info-cyrus at utdallas.edu
Tue Sep 24 01:24:58 EDT 2002

>>>>> On 23 Sep 2002 18:26:16 -0400,
>>>>> Matt Vanderveer <mattv at boxerlearning.com> (mv) writes:

mv> I'm having problems getting lmtpd authentication working, at least as I
mv> think I need it to.  Posting directly to the shared box from the users's
mv> mua works fine.  However for various reasons, I need to let users mail
mv> to a shared box, not just post from the mua, and still limit who can
mv> mail to the shared box.  This leads to several questions:

mv> Am I correct in thinking that my issue is on the Postfix side in getting
mv> Postfix to pass the smtp-auth info through its lmtp client to cyrus'
mv> lmtpd?

Correct.  In Postfix, credentials passed via SMTP-AUTH will *not*
be conveyed to the LMTP session for LMTP-AUTH.  I really don't see
a solution to this for two reasons: 1) Postfix is not a monolithic
application, and so the queue file format would have to be altered
to retain the SMTP-AUTH info so that it can be used for LMTP-AUTH,
and 2) past discussions revealed that Wietse was not comfortable
with the lack of verification of the SMTP-AUTH credentials to
blindly pass them onto other services.  If this is an important
requirement, you'll have to use Sendmail.

--
Amos