[POLL] NNTP support for Cyrus?

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 25 00:04:06 EDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 08:03:59PM -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:
> So, how many people (if any) are interested in seeing NNTP support built
> into Cyrus?  I'm interested in hearing about both server-side and
> client-side support.
>
> server-side (server/server transfer):
> - would allow articles to be fed directly to Cyrus from _any_ NNTP
> server (either your own, or your ISP's)
> - might allow for easy mailstore replication

Will it scale? Cyrus IMAPd has some decent scalability in it. What
about the nntpd side? Between flooding lmtpd with incoming emails and
nntpd with incoming news feeds, how will the deliver databases hold up?

I personally don't have a need for this right now but it does sound
like a very cool 'gee wiz' feature though. I'm just throwing out some
thoughts to be chewed on.

> client-side support (reading/posting)
> - allow your clients to read articles from the same server/storage via
> either IMAP or NNTP

I'm a bit surprised at the need for nntp READ support though when
anonymous IMAP mailboxes can be setup instead. I would guess though
that people would be more failure with a 'newsgroup' than an
anonymous IMAP mailbox.

--
  Scott Russell (lnxgeek at us.ibm.com)
  Linux Technology Center, System Admin, RHCE.