[POLL] NNTP support for Cyrus?

Kaj J. Niemi mail.sw.cyrus.info at spam.fi.basen.net
Wed Sep 25 02:30:44 EDT 2002

> Well, the news readers tend to be better at reading shared mailboxes than
> most IMAP clients. Atleast that's what they tell me, though I haven't
> been fully impressed with any IMAP client's handling of a large number
> of shared bboards.

The fundamental problem with most (almost all?) IMAP clients is that they
do not understand the concept of a highwater mark (ie. highest message read)
when accessing shared folders.

The fundamental problem with newsgroups is that corporate people do not
understand them at all, ie. "how can I send a message to everybody while
not CCing everybody".

That said, there are some things corporate newsgroups are good for. Like
bi-directional mailing-list gateways. You only subscribe one address from
the whole organisation instead of having 20+ guys getting it into their
inbox. INN setup takes a few hours, after that it simply works and you
_really_ don't need to touch it ever again unless upgrading a security
fix or so.

Just looking at things from my angle :)

// kaj