[POLL] NNTP support for Cyrus?

Hein Roehrig hein at acm.org
Wed Sep 25 04:44:29 EDT 2002

Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

> So, how many people (if any) are interested in seeing NNTP support built
> into Cyrus?  I'm interested in hearing about both server-side and
> client-side support.

Is this the following a correct summary of the strengths and
weaknesses of the IMAP and NNTP protocols?

                   auth IMAP        anonymous IMAP   NNTP
subscription list  on server        on client        on client
seen flag          on server        on client        on client
posting            no (SMTP)        maybe (APPEND)   yes
searching          yes (in folder)  yes (in folder)  no

Looks like an accepted IMAP way of posting would make NNTP pretty much
obsolete.

For webmail and other NNTP-challenged MUAs, I'd like a IMAP -> NNTP
gateway that talks authenticated IMAP to the client and NNTP to the
news server, keeping the equivalent of .newsrc on the server. AFAIK,
UW IMAPD does something like this (for a local news spool) and it
shouldn't be too hard to get Cyrus to support this as well. The
hardest part would be to agree on a mailbox naming convention :-)
Something like news.my^nntp^server^119.comp.mail.imap?

As to storing news in Cyrus, are there any advantages beyond
searching? IMHO, a protocol translator might be sufficient even for
indexing.

Thanks,
Hein