request help on setting IMAP

Henry henry at legend.com.my
Thu Sep 26 05:10:56 EDT 2002

My intention is to create a mail server that is based on own database, not
using linux's user database for my LAN using a web-based interface,
squirrelmail that is.
I have finally compiled BerkeleyDB, Cyrus-SASL and Cyrus-IMAP

I'm only able to start sasl using "-a shadow"
I think that by using "shadow", it  will utilise the same user db that is
used by Linux's user database. I would prefer to use another simple internal
db or file. Any suggestion on which easy-to-setup mechanism?

Using "-a pam" will result in:
Sep 26 14:37:09 legend saslauthd[2521]: daemon started, listening on
/var/run/saslauthd/mux
Sep 26 14:37:26 legend saslauthd[2521]: DEBUG: auth_pam: pam_authenticate
failed: Authentication failure
Sep 26 14:37:26 legend saslauthd[2521]: AUTHFAIL: user=henry service=imap
realm= [PAM auth error]

Here's my startup:
#start imap
/usr/cyrus/bin master &

#start sasl
saslauthd -a shadow

#lmtest result:
S: * OK legend Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.9 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN root {6}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 OK User logged in
Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 0

Another problem that occurs when i try to create mailbox in cyradm: auth.log
perl: unable to dlopen /usr/lib/sasl2/libsasldb.so.2: libdb-4.0.so: cannot
perl: unable to dlopen /usr/lib/sasl2/libotp.so.2: libdb-4.0.so: cannot open
perl: No worthy mechs found

Any hint on where did i foul up?

regards,
henry