Time has come to stop with /usr/local path pollution!

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Sep 29 08:51:19 EDT 2002

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> Well, I can actually testbed the configure changes for you, and use them for
> the Debian builds... But my requirements re. cmulocal are very different
> (aka. as long as it works for Debian's Cyrus build) than CMU's.  However,
> since my build env. is _very_ well behaved and all the stuff is under /usr,
> it gets somewhat difficult to spot bugs in the find-the-foo paths from
> configure.in :-)

This is actually a lot of our problem as well.  All of our machines are
very specifically facilitized to be nearly identical.  Thus, it may work
for us, but we really only have one setup to look at.  I also do some
testing on some pretty stock RedHat machines, but that's all I generally
have time for configure-wise.

Bug #1386 is a tracking of our progress towards getting autoconf 2.50+
happy with Cyrus SASL.  At this point (as far as I know), autoconf 2.50+
should be working with Cyrus SASL modulo some quoting issues in the --help
output of configure, so this should imply that cmulocal should be happy
with 2.50+ as well.  (A lot of this work is credited to Carlos Velasco,
who went to great lengths to work with us so that none of his changes
broke a 2.13 build either).

There isn't currently a bug tracking the progress for Cyrus IMAPd, since,
well, no one has volunteered to do the work yet to both make it work with
2.53 *and* keep it working with 2.13.  (And, well, that's definately a
battle we're not willing to fight on our own yet, since it *is* working
for us).

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper