How to use cyradm with plaintext over SSL or TLS?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Sep 27 10:40:10 EDT 2002

Luc Germain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using cyrus-imap 2.1.8 and cyrus-sasl-2.1.7. We use plaintext logins
> ( IMAP -> SASL -> PAM_LDAP -> OPENLDAP) and to protect the passwords, we
> force every users to use an encrypted connexion (either through IMAPS or
> IMAP+TLS), by putting  "allowplaintext = no" in /etc/imapd.conf and it works
> well too.
>
> Now my problem is that I just can't find the way to connect to the server
> anymore with either cyradm or a perl script using the CYRUS::IMAP::Admin
> module. I need connect using plaintext through IMAPS or IMAP+TLS. Is it
> possible?
>
> I'm using this code in my script:
>
> $conn_imap = Cyrus::IMAP::Admin->new( $IMAP_SERVER );
> $conn_imap->authenticate(-user => $ACCOUNT_CYRADM,
>                          -mechanisms => "plaintext",
>                          -minssf => 128,
>                          -password => $PASSWD_CYRADM )
>     || die "Error: ", $conn_imap->error;
>
> and get this error message:
>
> Login only available under a layer at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 114
> Error:  at ./createCyrusUser line 84, <PASS> line 9.
>
> what "mechanisms" should I specify to use a connexion through SSL or TLS???

I don't believe that the Cyrus perl code has support for SSL/TLS.  The
best way to use cyradm if you're worried about password snooping would
be to run it directly on the server itself.  Otherwise, you could use
imtest to connect via SSL/TLS and issue IMAP commands yourself.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127