[POLL] NNTP support for Cyrus?

Michael Bacon baconm at oit.duke.edu
Thu Oct 3 17:59:57 EDT 2002

Well, I'm late to the picnic again (therein lies the danger of sieving list
traffic into a separate folder -- too easy to ignore), but I'm definitely
intrigued by this concept.  Just this morning, several folks on the staff
here and I were discussing how to better utilize netnews as an alternative
to e-mail for mass communication.

Client-side support isn't something that we'd be terribly interested in.  I
generally think of NNTP for client side stuff as a nasty hack that I wish
would go away, and which should be replaced by IMAP, but the world doesn't
always agree with me.

Server-side support, on the other hand, would definitely be good.  While we
can do the INN/Cyrus combination to get news over IMAP, a straight nntp
feed to cyrus would be cleaner.  I guess in that case client-side would
allow us to do away with INN altogether, but I'm not sure that's a real
advantage.

The big one I'm curious about is mailstore replication.  I can see how you
could deliver messages to one store and syncronize them to others via NNTP,
but how would you propogate moves, deletions, flag state changes, etc?
Would it be a host of new types of control messages passed via NNTP?  Or
would you track those some other way?  I suppose you could modify MUPDATE
to do some of it, but it still seems like message relocation becomes a
problem.

Anyway, just some thoughts.  It's definitely an interesting idea.

Michael Bacon
Duke University

--On Tuesday, September 24, 2002 20:03:59 -0400 Ken Murchison