Murder

Willem van den Oord willem at ahk.nl
Wed Oct 2 11:34:03 EDT 2002

> I'm still not sure what you mean here.  You have two user "foobar"s but
> they map to different user.x mailboxes?  I think that this would be useful
> in general for backends and frontends alike.

That is right. It is useful for them both alike.

> I'm not sure how you tell the difference in the two user.foobar(s) though.
> The realm?  Cyrus IMAP 2.2 will do virtual domains that makes this work
> correctly.

He he, i don't think you want to know. It's a scheme that check's
several sources of accounts (like nt servers but also some ldap tree's).
The order in which the different account sources are checked depends on
what subnet you're in. Users can also manipulate this order by providing
their email address in stead of their username. The first account source
that matches a username could be considered a sort of realm (not the
emailaddress, because there can be multiple account sources for a
specific mail domain (which each have a sub maildomain specific for the
account source)).

The goal for this was to have a single configuration for most services
that works anywhere  and can be easily extended with new locations and
new account sources. It is also used for other services like
authentication for dialup connections and the e-learning webapplication
etc.

I will have a look at virtual domain support.

Willem