Cyrus 2.2 temp file problem when delivering to default domain?

Jonathan Marsden jonathan at bach.xc.org
Thu Oct 3 07:24:26 EDT 2002

I have made myself a Red Hat 7.3 RPM of the CVS Cyrus 2.2 (as of 26
Sep 2002) and installed it on some test Red Hat 7.3 systems here.

The virtual domain handling seems to "almost" work for me!

What I reliably and reproducibly get is an error about a temporary
file and non-delivery of email, to mailboxes in the default domain.
Mail to mailboxes in truly "virtual" domains works fine.

How can I best debug this further?

This is defintely *not* MTA related (for reference, sendmail 8.12.5
with a slightly hacked proto.m4 to do the retention of the @domain.tld
part of local addresses), because I get the same results from running
deliver -l as I do from sendmail delivery attempts.  Here is an
example:

    jm at a1:~$ /usr/libexec/cyrus/deliver -l
    220 mail.a1.net LMTP Cyrus v2.2.prealpha-GRC-RPM-2.2-cvs.20020926 ready
    lhlo junk
    250-mail.a1.net
    250-8BITMIME
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-PIPELINING
    250-SIZE
    250-AUTH EXTERNAL
    250 IGNOREQUOTA
    mail from:<jm at xc.org>
    250 2.1.0 ok
    rcpt to:<jonathan at a1.net>
    250 2.1.5 ok
    data
    451 4.3.2 cannot create temporary file: No such file or directory
    rset
    250 2.0.0 ok
    mail from:<jm at xc.org>
    250 2.1.0 ok
    rcpt to:<jonathan at b2.net>
    250 2.1.5 ok
    data
    354 go ahead
    Subject: test b2

    b2
    .
    250 2.1.5 Ok
    quit
    221 2.0.0 bye
    13:49:51 jm at a1:~$

a1.net is the default domain, b2.net is a virtual domain (no, I do not
really own/use those domain names, they are sanitized).

My /etc/imapd.conf is

    configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
    partition-default: /var/spool/imap
    admins: cyrus
    allowanonymouslogin: no
    sieveuserhomedir: no
    sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
    sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
    hashimapspool: true
    sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
    sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
    tls_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
    tls_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
    altnamespace: yes
    unixhierarchysep: yes
    autocreatequota: 100000
    virtdomains: yes
    defaultdomain: a1.net

which is just the one from Simon Matter's 2.1.9-3 RPMs with the last
five lines added for my own purposes.

Permissions and ownership on the relevant
/var/{lib,spool}/imap/domain/* files and directories are all fine
(owned by cyrus, group mail, directories 0755 and 0700 as expected,
files 0600).

One point of note: if I run mkimap -d a1.net the error message
changes.  It then complains about not finding the stage directory, but
the error message shows no actual path to a file or directory at all.

Also, if I comment out the last two lines of my imapd.conf to disable
the virtual domain handling, mail to a normal mailbox then works fine:

    jm at a1:~$ /usr/libexec/cyrus/deliver -l
    220 mail.a1.net LMTP Cyrus v2.2.prealpha-GRC-RPM-2.2-cvs.20020926 ready
    lhlo junk
    250-mail.a1.net
    250-8BITMIME
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-PIPELINING
    250-SIZE
    250-AUTH EXTERNAL
    250 IGNOREQUOTA
    mail from:<jm at xc.org>
    250 2.1.0 ok
    rcpt to:<jonathan>
    250 2.1.5 ok
    data
    354 go ahead
    Subject: test with no virtdomains

    this works fine.
    .
    250 2.1.5 Ok
    quit
    221 2.0.0 bye
    jm at a1:~$

I'm happy to help debug this and move 2.2 along a little, but pointers
on where to start looking, things to try, etc. would be much
appreciated!  Should I post syslog data from a failed delivery attempt
too?  If I need to read the source, what files would be a good place
to start reading to find this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan
--