timsieved not offering any auth mechanisms

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sat Oct 5 09:24:44 EDT 2002

Quoting Matt Bernstein <mb/cyrus at dcs.qmul.ac.uk>:

> ..I think as of 2.1.9. I've seen it works for other people, but was
> wondering if anyone else had found this problem, or better yet the
> solution! :) imapd is working fine.
>
> Telnet-ing to port 2000 gives me:
>
> "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v1.1.0"
> "SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress
> relational regex"
> OK
>
> ..and "STARTTLS" if I configure it. But there's no "SASL" line.
>
> Am I missing something obvious?
>
> Matt
>
> # grep -i sasl /etc/imapd.conf
> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> sasl_mech_list: plain login
> #sasl_minimum_layer: 40
> sasl_minimum_layer: 1

I'm guessing that one of two things is happening:

1. you have allowplaintext:no in imapd.conf

2. you installed SASL in a non-default location and Cyrus can't find the
plugins.  If you do:

what mechs are listed?  I'm guessing none.  If this is the case, either link
your SASL plugins directory to /usr/lib/sasl2 or rebuild Cyrus using the
--with-sasl option.  FYI, the reason that IMAP and POP3 both work is that they
each have their own plaintext login commands (LOGIN and USER/PASS
respectively), which don't depend on SASL plugins.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127