timsieved not offering any auth mechanisms

Matt Bernstein mb/cyrus at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Sat Oct 5 17:48:06 EDT 2002

At 12:53 -0400 Ken Murchison wrote:

>> >1. you have allowplaintext:no in imapd.conf
>>
>> >2. you installed SASL in a non-default location and Cyrus can't find the
>> >plugins.  If you do:
>
>Hmm.  You shot me down on both common problems.  You only see this problem with
>timsieved?  What about lmtpd?

I fear I'll have to shut down my MTA to investigate this.. (it's a shame
Cyrus can't run an lmtpd and an "lmtpd -a" on different ports) ..ah!
If it only listens on localhost I can just break the chain. Here's what I
get:

vicar# lmtptest -t '' -u mb -a mb localhost
S: 220 vicar LMTP Cyrus v2.1.9 ready
C: LHLO example.com
S: 250-vicar
S: 250-8BITMIME
S: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
S: 250-PIPELINING
S: 250-SIZE
S: 250-STARTTLS
S: 250 IGNOREQUOTA
C: STARTTLS
S: 220 Begin TLS negotiation now
verify error:num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain
TLS connection established: TLSv1 with cipher DES-CBC3-SHA (168/168 bits)
C: LHLO example.com
S: 250-vicar
S: 250-8BITMIME
S: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES