Pocket PC's Inbox will not delete IMAP e-mails from Cyrus server

James Cridland (home) james at cridland.net
Sun Oct 6 06:34:32 EDT 2002

Hello, folks. I've done a quick search on the archive of this mailing list,
and can't find any resolution or mention of this problem, so I thought I'd
jump in and ask.

I'm having problems with deleting IMAP mail from a Cyrus server using my
Pocket PC's "Inbox" application. The basic symptoms are: *1
1. Connect successfully, grab e-mail, disconnect
2. Read and delete e-mail
3. Empty deleted items folder
4. Re-connect, whereupon deleted items reappear, unread.

This behaviour is occurring on Cyrus (and Courier) IMAP servers, but not on
a Merak IMAP server. It appears, therefore, to be server-specific: however,
I've been unable to test on any more IMAP servers as yet.

I was wondering whether this is a known bug with (Cyrus / MS Inbox) - or, at
the first instance, whether anyone else can reproduce this problem?

I've discussed this in comp.mail.imap - link here -
http://makeashorterlink.com/?F22F23402 - which contains a log (apparently
imcomplete) from Merak server. Users there have reported that the client is
making two separate connections to the server, not one: is this the heart of
the problem?

I'd be very grateful for any help. I *love* IMAP, and my Pocket PC would be
a really useful tool if it, um, deleted my e-mail when I told it to!

James

*1 This is the correct method of reading/deleting IMAP mail, according to
Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q324580
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q324580 - which says
that the Pocket PC only synchronises deleted items at the beginning of any
connection.

--
http://james.cridland.net/contacting_me/