lmtp via TCP (localhost)

Chris Hilts chilts at birdbrained.org
Tue Oct 8 11:07:39 EDT 2002

> I setup sendmail 8.12.6 to use TCP for lmtp rather than UNIX sockets.

> Oct  8 08:48:02 miller sendmail[787]: g98Dm0CH000786:
> to=<jeff at foobar.com>,  ctladdr=<jeff at foobar.com> (106/20),
> delay=00:00:01,
> xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=cyrusv2, pri=30584, relay=localhost.foobar.com.
> [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: 430 Authentication requ
> ired

Edit your cyrus config file.  See the line like this:

lmtp            cmd="lmtpd" listen="localhost:lmtp" prefork=0 maxchild=20

Add -a to the cmd portion.  (cmd="lmtpd -a").  Quick and easy, which means
there must be a downside.  And there is - anything that connects to the
lmtp port on localhost is automatically authenticated.  Might not be a
smokin' hot idea for boxes with shell accounts.

The alternative (and no, I haven't done this yet) is to configure your MTA
to use SASL to authenticate when it connects.  I know Postfix can do this,
but I haven't played with sendmail in a long, long time.  If you're going
to go this route, you don't add the -a to the lmtpd command like I
described above.

Hope this helps in some way.

Chris Hilts
chilts at birdbrained.org