database types

Aidan Evans ae at is.dal.ca
Tue Oct 15 16:44:01 EDT 2002

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 at 11:05 Rob Siemborski wrote to David Wright and...

>On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, David Wright wrote:
>
>> Can someone explain what advantages and disadvantages one has from the
>> different database types? And what is a skiplist anyway? I'm familiar
>> with flat files and the sleepycat databases, but I've never heard of a
>> skiplist.
>
>This has been addressed on the list several times, here's the summary:
>
>http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.cyrus-sasl&msg=2311

  This says

	>    --with-duplicate-db=DB  use DB (db3, skiplist) as a backend
	> for the duplicate delivery db (Default: db3_nosync
	)

	db3_nosync, since the worst part about losing this is that someone
	might get a vacation message twice.  It also needs fast lookups.

which does not sound right, if "losing this" refers to the database.  What
seems to happen in our environment is that all sieving stops working.  I
have not tested everything, but right now deliver.db (db3-nosync) is broken
and my sieve script which has a couple of "if" tests, a "redirect", and a
"fileinto" now does nothing.

Aidan Evans   | Networks & Systems
(902)494-3332 | University Computing & Information Services