Upgrading and migrating from 2.0.16 to 2.1.9

Mike O'Rourke mike.orourke at op.org
Fri Oct 11 18:37:58 EDT 2002

>On 11 Oct 2002, Ken Causey wrote:
>
> > I'm retiring a server that is currently running Cyrus IMAPD 2.0.16 and
> > would like to replace it with a Debian server that would be running
> > 2.1.9.  I need to move all existing data (mailboxes, etc.) from the
> > 2.0.16 to the 2.1.9 server.  I tried the stupid way which is to simple
> > move the files but Cyrus clearly wasn't happy with that.  Can someone
> > please point me at information on upgrading a migrating between these
> > two versions?
>
>The documentation that ships with the distribution.
>(doc/install-upgrade.html).
>
>-Rob
>
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
>Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper

While it _is_ true that the documentation ships with the distribution, it
assumes
that one is upgrading on the same machine. I just finished with an
identical (?)
upgrade Cyrus IMAPD 2.0.16/SASL 1.5.24 on a Digital AlphaServer TRU64 v. 5.0
to Cyrus IMAPD 2.1.9/SASL 2.1.7 on SuSE 8.0. I used scp to copy the /var/imap
and /var/spool/imap directories. Then, make sure to do this (before you run
rehash):
         find /var/spool/imap -exec chown cyrus:mail {} \;
         find /var/imap -exec chown cyrus:mail {} \;
(assuming that your user is cyrus and your group is mail). The gethostname()
call on TRU64 UNIX returns the FQDN, and on SuSE, of course, it does not.
So, I had to add the servername: and loginrealms: to be the FQDN. If you are
using sasldb for authentication, you will have a group of users in the
oldserver.your.domain.com realm in the new sasldb2 database (it would be
nice to
be able to interactively change the realm as the conversion is being
done!). In my case,
the new machine was taking over the FQDN and IP addresses of the old one.
I could not do any testing until I could shut down the old server and
change all
of the hostname references in the Apache config, /etc directory, et.al.

Mike O'Rourke, OP