sieveshell says "sasl mech list empty"

Nick Fisher Nick at nickdafish.com
Mon Oct 14 13:27:34 EDT 2002

Hello people,
  I'm having a problem with sieveshell. When I run 'sieveshell localhost'
I get:
connecting to localhost
unable to connect to server: sasl mech list empty at /usr/bin/sieveshell
line 175.

And when I 'telnet localhost sieve' I get:
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
"IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v1.1.0"
"SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress
relational regex"
OK

I can get into IMAP with no problems. I'm using pam_mysql to auth and
these lines are taken from my imapd.conf:
allowanonymouslogin:    no
allowplaintext:         yes
sasl_pwcheck_method:    saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

I looked in the archives and I found two solutions:
1) sasl plugins in the wrong place.
Now I think there supposed to be in /usr/lib/sasl2 and that's where they
are. I can't figure out how I would check this or what files I should
have
there.

2) PAM is incorrectly configured
I have a sieve entry in /etc/pam.d/

Any ideas? I'm a Cyrus newbie and I'm stuck. Is is something to do with
'sasl_mech_list' in my imapd.conf? I tryed blindly playing with it but
got
nowhere.

  Nick